Jamie Vardy's wife Rebekah tear-gassed at Euro 2016

People run after police fired tear gas following clashes after the Euro 2016 soccer championship group B match between England and Russia in Marseille Image copyright AP
Image caption There were clashes on the streets of Marseille before and after England and Russia faced each other in their opening game of Euro 2016

The wife of England and Leicester striker Jamie Vardy has described being tear-gassed as violence flared before England's Euro 2016 tie with Russia.

Rebekah Vardy tweeted she was gassed and "caged" before England's match in Marseille on Saturday.

There were clashes in the streets and later some Russia fans appeared to rush at England supporters in the stadium.

Mrs Vardy said what she got caught up in was "horrific" and said the treatment of fans was "shocking".

Image copyright Rebekah Vardy/Twitter
Image caption Rebekah Vardy tweeted about her experience before the England match with Russia

"That has to be up there with the worst experience EVER at an away game! Teargassed for no reason, caged and treated like animals! Shocking!" she said.

Replying to a message from TV presenter Piers Morgan she said French authorities "closed the gates so the fans couldn't get through then teargassed us."

An investigation by tournament organisers Uefa is now under way with the Russia Football Union facing possible charges for crowd disturbances, racist behaviour, and setting off fireworks.

Image copyright Reuters
Image caption Rebekah Vardy said she has never been to a worse away game than in Marseille when supporting her husband, England and Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy

At least one England fan remains in a critical condition and 20 others have been hurt in the southern French city after a third bout of violence.

Tear gas and water cannon were used to break up fist fights and bottle-throwing between England and Russia supporters and French locals in Marseille's Old Port before England's opening game of the tournament.

At a news conference called late on Saturday, FA spokesman Mark Whittle called for England supporters to "act in a respectful manner".

"The FA is very disappointed about the terrible scenes of disorder and of course condemns such behaviour," he said.

"It is now in the hands of the relevant authorities to identify those involved in trouble and deal with them appropriately and quickly."

Related Topics

More on this story