Leicester

Leicester's Shimla Pinks shut after rodent infestation found

Mouse in the kitchen Image copyright Leicester City Council
Image caption Inspectors found a live mouse during their inspection at Shimla Pinks

A curry house has been shut down after an infestation of rats and mice was found by health inspectors.

Rat droppings and a live mouse were found in the kitchen at Shimla Pinks, in Leicester, on Tuesday.

Officers shut the restaurant while people were dining, with the business fined £1,000 during a hearing at the city's magistrates.

Owner Meena Patel told the Leicester Mercury he felt "terrible" about the problem and vowed to rectify it.

Image copyright Leicester Mercury
Image caption Rat droppings were found in food preparation areas

Leicester City Council health inspectors confirmed the closure during the hearing on Thursday.

The court was told droppings were found behind the freezer and there were holes in doors and the skirting boards, allowing the rodents access to food preparation areas.

Bacterial infections such as Leptospirosis and Ecoli can be spread by urine from mice and rats.

The council said in a statement the owners are not allowed to open until it was satisfied they have "addressed the problems".

The BBC approached Shimla Pinks for comment but has yet to receive a reply.

Image copyright Leicester city council
Image caption Shimla Pinks has earned good reviews for its food and service

However, Mr Patel told the Mercury he was going to "eradicate" the problem.

The premises, in London Road, will close for a week to allow walls to be rebuilt and kitchen equipment replaced.

Shimla Pinks has earned consistent positive reviews on Trip Advisor, earning it a "certificate of excellence" in 2015.

Image copyright Leicester City Council
Image caption Holes made by rodents were found in the restaurant's walls

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites