Nightclub murder victim from Leicester 'was targeted' say police

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionPolice search for nightclub killer

A 35-year-old Leicester man, who was shot outside a Birmingham nightclub, was "targeted", police said.

Sylvester Koroma was shot in the stomach outside Rainbow Warehouse on 10 August. He died in hospital on Sunday.

West Midlands Police said they still had no motive for the shooting. They added Mr Koroma's friends, who were with him that evening, had declined to give witness statements.

Mr Koroma's family said he would be "truly missed".

'Answer lies in Leicester'

Det Ch Insp Seb Johal said Mr Koroma was attacked at about 23:45 BST at a club night called Circoloco, attended by up to 4,000 people.

"We are working on the basis he was targeted. It's not a random shooting," he said.

Mr Johal added Mr Koroma was a "large male" who "took fitness seriously" and was easy to notice.

Two men were arrested at the scene, while another man and a woman were arrested by detectives on Thursday in connection with the shooting.

All four have been bailed with strict conditions while inquires continue.

Det Ch Insp Johal said: "The motive will stay unclear until people contact us and tell us what this is about.

"The answer lies in Leicester. This crime will be solved if those people in Leicester, who attended this event and who knew Mr Koroma, contact us.

"A number of people visited Mr Koroma in hospital when he was alive but are not prepared to provide statements.

Image caption Mr Koroma was shot outside the Rainbow Warehouse

"There have been a number of messages left on social media websites but those same people have not contacted us. This has proved very distressing for the family.

"They can't move on until they find out why their son was basically murdered in front of loads of people, some of them his friends, and none of them are prepared to speak on his behalf."

Mr Koroma was also a victim of a shooting in Leicester in 2002, in which he was injured. A man was put on trial for attempted murder but found not guilty.

Officers said the two incidents were not linked.

In a statement, Mr Koroma's family described the victim, who had a three-year-old son, as "kind, gentle and loving".

They said: "He was a very happy person, who always lit the room up with his smile."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites