Hair dye death woman Julie McCabe had 'allergy history'

Julie McCabe Julie McCabe was taken to hospital struggling to breathe after dyeing her hair at home

Related Stories

A woman who died after colouring her hair had a history of allergic reactions to dye, an inquest has heard.

Julie McCabe, 38, from Keighley, visited her doctor up to 20 times between 2005 and 2011 complaining of scalp irritation.

The hearing was told her allergy was not recorded on patient files.

Mrs McCabe lapsed into a coma in 2011 after using a hair product at home. She died a year later from heart failure due to brain damage.

Her GP Dr Sean Emmott told the inquest in Skipton the allergy was not noted on her records because hair dye was not like a medicine that a doctor might prescribe.

Asked by coroner Geoff Fell if doctors informed companies of reactions to their products, he said they did not.

The doctor added it was routine to inform pharmaceutical companies when drugs did not agree with patients.

He admitted it would be just as simple to inform companies about problems with their products.

The inquest continues.

More on This Story

Related Stories

BBC Leeds & West Yorkshire


301 Moved Permanently

Moved Permanently

The document has moved here.

BBC Local Live

[an error occurred while processing this directive]


Copyright © 2019 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.