Leeds & West Yorkshire

Shipley man Nathaniel Flynn jailed for killing grandmother

Nathaniel Flynn
Image caption Nathaniel Flynn was jailed at Bradford Crown Court

A man who stabbed his grandmother to death before attempting to kill a boy has been jailed for life.

Nathaniel Flynn, 26, from Shipley, stabbed 84-year-old Louisa Denby 50 times in a "brutal and frenzied attack" at her home in July.

He then attacked nine-year-old Jason D'Arcy in a nearby skate park in Shipley, stabbing him through the arm.

Flynn, who admitted murder and attempted murder at Bradford Crown Court, must serve at least 24 years.

'Entrenched' drug use

West Yorkshire Police said in November that they had "no idea" why he killed the retired teacher.

However, Mr Justice Keith said that the most likely explanation was that "she just got on your nerves".

The judge heard that three psychiatrists found he had no diagnosable mental illness but said he had been influenced by his "entrenched" use of cannabis and other drugs.

Mrs Denby's body was found by police investigating the attack on Jason at Carnegie skate park on 1 July.

He suffered a shallow wound to his chest and a much more serious injury to his arm as he tried to defend himself.

The court heard Flynn had placed online orders for a SAS survival guide, two knives, tarpaulin and rope in the days before he killed his grandmother.

Image caption Jason D'Arcy (left) was suffered wounds to his arm and chest. Louisa Denby was stabbed 50 times.

Police believe one of the knives he purchased was used in the attacks, although the weapon has never been recovered.

'Serious nerve damage'

Adrian Waterman QC, prosecuting, said Flynn had told a doctor he had wanted to end Mrs Denby's life because she was "deteriorating".

However, he said there was no evidence from anyone else in the family that she had any problems.

The court heard that after Jason had been attacked he ran home where his father, Lee, stemmed the flow of blood.

The boy suffered serious nerve damage to his hand which may be permanent.

Mr Darcy said: "Jason is still recovering from what happened that day, but he is making very good progress and we are hopeful that the support he has been given by everyone will aid him in his recovery."

The court heard Flynn went on to approach an eight-year-old girl, Ellie Palomar, who was playing in her garden nearby.

'Never forgotten'

Later he attacked Terence Thackray, after the 59-year-old challenged Flynn as he tried to climb a wall into a school in Idle, Bradford.

Flynn was arrested at about 04:10 BST the following day. He was carrying a set of garden shears.

Mr Waterman said Flynn was born in Bradford, but had lived in the United States for much of his life.

He returned to the UK about two years ago and moved in with his grandmother.

The court heard Flynn had a long history of drug use and he had a conviction for cocaine-related offences in the US.

Mrs Denby's family said: "The sudden horrific murder of our mother has had a devastating effect on our family.

"Now we hope to rebuild our lives, although our mother will never be forgotten. "

Image caption Louisa Denby's body was found at the home she shared with Flynn in Shipley

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites