Teen's coma picture warning after taking Spice drug
The mother of a teenager who nearly died after taking a former legal high has released a photo of her daughter in intensive care as a warning to others.
Cheryl Howe was told by medics to "prepare for the worst" when daughter Sharon was given only a 30% chance of survival after smoking Spice.
The 15-year-old from Morecambe was put into a medically-induced coma for 40 hours after collapsing.
She said she took the drug unknowingly after it was added into a joint.
Spice is the name given to a range of drugs which previously fell under the category of so-called "legal highs" before being banned in May.
Some experts this "synthetic cannabis" can be up to 100 times as potent as the drug it mimics.
Ms Howe said they decided to publish the pictures to warn other parents and, since going public, there has been a positive reaction on social media.
"So far about 30 girls have messaged [Sharon] to tell her they won't be touching it and encouraging their friends not to take it," she said.
"I'm proud that the photograph has done some good."
Sharon has since made a full recovery and started a college course.