England

Shattered fish tank stops Warrington house fire

Shattered fish tank Image copyright Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service
Image caption Heat from the flames shattered part of the glass from the fish tank

A shattered fish tank stopped a fire from spreading through a house in Warrington.

About 22 gallons (100 litres) poured out of the tank after part of it smashed during the blaze in Mossdale Close, which was sparked by a candle.

Firefighters used more water to put out the flames in the lounge after being called at 06:55 GMT.

Steve Whitehall, who lives in the property, said 13 fish died but two survived in the water left in the tank.

Image copyright Chshrie Fire and Rescue Service
Image caption The fire damaged some Christmas presents before water from the tank stopped it spreading

"We often have candles burning around the house, and are usually very careful about making sure they are all out before we go to bed or go out," he said.

"Unfortunately, we missed one and I cannot believe the damage that has been caused from just that one candle."

Tony Taylor, crew manager at Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: "The Whitehalls have had a very lucky escape from what could have been a much more serious incident."

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites