Seychelles shark attack: Ian Redmond's widow in tribute
The wife of a man who was killed in a shark attack during their honeymoon in the Seychelles has paid tribute to her "handsome and caring" husband.
Ian Redmond, 30, of Nelson, Lancashire, was attacked off Anse Lazio beach on Praslin and died later in hospital, a local police spokesman said.
His widow, Gemma, said his death on Tuesday had "left a gaping hole in our hearts that will never be filled".
Authorities have banned diving in the area as they try to snare the shark.
Mr Redmond, an IT specialist, lost an arm and suffered severe hip injuries while snorkelling.
It was the second fatal shark attack in the same part of the island off the coast of east Africa this month.
In a statement, Mrs Redmond, from Wigan, said: "My husband and my best friend was tragically killed yesterday.
"I loved him so much and he was a very special husband, a thoughtful son and a devoted brother.
"He worked tirelessly to give us both a wonderful married life and home and I want to thank him for nine years of joy.
"We were having so much fun and we were so excited about our future together."
'Witty and intelligent'
Mrs Redmond, who is believed to be a primary school teacher, added: "Myself, our families and our friends are devastated and shocked by what has happened.
"He was always calm and collected, strong and brave, witty and intelligent, handsome and caring, a remarkable individual who will be deeply and sorely missed.
"We are privileged and proud to have shared our lives with him."
The couple were married at St Michael's Church in their home village of Dalton, Lancashire.
The Reverend Tim Barton, who conducted the service, said: "Ian and Gemma are well-known and well-loved members of the community and our thoughts and prayers are with Gemma, her parents and the rest of Ian's family at this time."
Stuart Haynes, media manager for the Anglican Diocese of Liverpool, said: "The wedding was quite a big occasion for the village and for it to suddenly turn to tragedy in such an unexpected way, people are still trying to take it in."
The couple were in the second week of their honeymoon and had been due to fly home on Sunday, police spokesman Jean Toussaint said.
He said two men on a catamaran had helped Mr Redmond just after 17:00 local time and he was taken to hospital, but had no chance of surviving.
"We discovered that the British citizen was badly injured on the hips and the arms. He was assisted medically but unfortunately he could not make it," he said.
A 36-year-old French tourist was killed by a shark off the same beach just over two weeks ago.
The Seychelles Tourism Board's director Alain St Ange told the BBC the latest attack was caused by a "foreign shark" and was a "freak accident".
He said: "We need to find the beast and get it out of our waters, we have requested help from South Africa and two experts are arriving in the country in the next day.
"We have now closed the beach and all the surrounding beaches and stopped diving in the area."
British High Commissioner Matthew Forbes was with the bride and her family were due to arrive in the country, Mr St Ange said.
Before this month's deaths, the last recorded fatal shark attack in the Seychelles was in 1963.