Lancashire

Five rescued from Great Harwood house fire by passer-by

A mother and her four children managed to escape from a fire at a house in Lancashire with help from a passer-by, the fire service has said.

The blaze started in the kitchen of the mid-terraced house in Lomax Street, Great Harwood, just before 0240 GMT.

Witnesses told Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service that a man walking by saw the smoke and smashed a window before helping the family to safety.

All five are being treated in hospital for the effects of breathing in smoke.

None of them are seriously hurt.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites