Lytham couple's bickering over Bridge 'ended in murder'

image captionCarole Green suffered 100 stab wounds to her body, Preston Crown Court heard

A man murdered his wife amid constant bickering about her playing abilities at their bridge club, a jury has heard.

The stormy relationship of Stephen and Carole Green was characterised by his hard-drinking and his criticism of her skills, Preston Crown Court was told.

It culminated in the violent stabbing of Mrs Green on 15 January, prosecutors said. She suffered 100 stab wounds.

Mr Green, 52, of Beach Court in Lytham, Lancs, denies murder. He also denies assaulting her on a previous occasion.

Mrs Green's body was found by police at the couple's home three days after she was stabbed.

'Vociferously critical'

Stuart Denney, prosecuting, said the couple were said to be "enthusiastic" members of Lytham Bridge Club.

"Over some couple of years he firstly got into the habit of drinking to excess and secondly being vociferously critical towards his wife when they were playing cards," he added.

Their relationship had already resulted in violence on two prior occasions to the murder, the prosecutor said.

Mrs Green, 57, told colleagues last Christmas that their relationship had improved.

However, the defendant's drinking had escalated after the festive period.

When Mrs Green returned home from work on 15 January she could not get in and a friend helped her kick the door open.

Police found her body inside three days later, after receiving calls from concerned relatives and friends.

An officer then went into the bathroom where he found Mr Green with cuts to both his wrists, Mr Denney said.

The jury heard that when interviewed, Mr Green said his wife was volatile following a brain tumour she suffered three years ago.

On the night of her death she had criticised him for being drunk and not making her a meal. She also said she wanted a divorce.

"He said she came at him with a knife and moved quickly for a 57-year-old," Mr Denney said.

"He said the knife was accidentally forced into her back. He checked for signs of life and there were none.

"Being drunk he removed the knife from her back and stabbed her half a dozen times as she lay on her face," the court was told.

The trial continues.

More on this story

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.