Mother-of three Sian Hollands died due to 'failure of doctors'

Sian with daughter Marne Image copyright Hollands family
Image caption Sian Hollands was the mother of three children

A mother who died hours after being told she was ready to leave hospital could have lived if doctors had treated her properly, a coroner has said.

Sian Hollands, 25, died from a pulmonary embolism at Darent Valley Hospital in Kent in November 2015.

Gravesend Coroner's Court heard the condition of the former drug user was put down to withdrawal.

Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust apologised and said the inquest highlighted weaknesses in her care.

The inquest was told Ms Hollands went to the hospital complaining of breathing difficulties and chest and stomach pain.

She had suffered an ectopic pregnancy three weeks earlier.

Live: More on this story and other news from Kent

The inquest heard the former drug user was taking methadone to treat her addiction, but had stopped for a few days.

Ms Hollands was given an electrocardiogram (ECG) and methadone and was then told she was being discharged.

The hearing was told her partner refused to take her home because she was still unwell, and Ms Hollands had a cardiac arrest in hospital.

Recording a narrative verdict, Coroner Roger Hatch said: "The death of Sian Hollands was due to the failures of the doctors at the Darent Valley Hospital in Dartford to examine, diagnose and treat her for pulmonary embolism following her admission to the hospital.

"Had they done so, on the balance of probability, she would not have died."

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionEbony Hollands speaking about her sister's death

After the hearing, Ms Hollands' family issued a statement which said they were "shocked and devastated" by the findings.

The statement said: "Sian was judged, labelled and ignored."

It said: "Sian was a loved young woman in her prime who leaves behind three young children who struggle every day without their mummy.

"The family hopes that no other family will have to walk in their shoes."

In a statement, Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust said: "We continue to extend our sincere condolences to the family and friends of Sian Hollands.

"We apologise to the family that Sian did not receive the level of care that she was entitled to expect when she came into A&E in November 2015.

"The inquest has highlighted a number of weaknesses in the way that her care was delivered."

The trust said it would be complying with the coroner's directions.

A spokesman said the trust had looked at its emergency department procedures and changed its system in order to recognise how severely a patient might be deteriorating.

He also said staffing levels had been increased, with a general manager available on weekdays and extended matron cover at weekends.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites