Kent

Puppy saved after swallowing toy arrow a foot long

Loula with the arrow Image copyright Manor Veterinary Clinic
Image caption The child's arrow was said to be almost as long as Loula's own body

A 12-week-old puppy needed life-saving surgery after she swallowed a toy arrow "almost as long as her body".

Staffordshire Bull Terrier Loula's owners initially thought she had gulped down a pen, but later realised it was the 12in (30cm) projectile.

Vets operated to remove the arrow, which had become lodged in Loula's stomach and gastrointestinal tract.

"We never expected the foreign body to be so large," said veterinary nurse Jane Lewis.

"Initially we believed Loula may have swallowed a pen as her owners found a chewed pen lid," said Ms Lewis, of Manor Veterinary Clinic, Folkestone.

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media caption.

"She is recovering well from her ordeal and is now resting at home with her family who are delighted with her progress," she added.

Image caption Loula has recovered and is back at home

Owner Luke Ponter said Loula had eaten her breakfast but came into the living room and started to choke.

"I took the kids to school, came home and she was pretty bad, couldn't breathe. I just thought, take her to the vets."

Mr Ponter said the vet felt her belly and immediately said she needed an operation.

"I panicked a bit, I didn't think she was going to come home again. It saved her life," he said.

Image copyright Manor Veterinary Clinic
Image caption The arrow was lodged in Loula's stomach and gastrointestinal tract
Image copyright Manor Veterinary Clinic
Image caption The operating team did not expect the foreign body inside Loula to be so large

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites