Kent

Third Medway bus strike called off in Arriva dispute

Arriva
Image caption A third strike day had been planned for Monday

A third 24-hour strike by more than 200 Medway bus drivers has been called off.

The drivers have already staged two days of action in a dispute over "unachievable" timetables.

Bus operator Arriva said it had carried out successful negotiations with the Unite union and strike action planned for Monday would now not go ahead.

Unite regional officer Dave Weeks welcomed the company's decision to amend some timetables and said the planned action would be suspended.

But he said two further stoppages planned for 4 and 11 January had not yet been called off, pending the successful implementation of the revised timetables.

Mr Weeks said Arriva had committed to increase some running times, which would be put to members.

In a statement, Arriva said: "Following successful negotiations between Arriva and the union, the proposed industrial action that had been planned for Monday 14 December will not now go ahead and our bus services will run as normal."

Members had objected to "unrealistic" timetables, which the union claimed meant drivers being at the wheel for five and a half hours at a time, with limited access to rest facilities.

The bus company previously said time-keeping issues had been identified and it was working to ease pressure on drivers.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites