Southborough pair treated after fire in flat

Two people had to be treated with oxygen after trying to put out a fire in their flat in Kent with a wet duvet.

Kent Fire and Rescue Service said the man and women in their early 20s were suffering from the effects of smoke after tackling the fire at 05:12 BST.

It is believed the fire started in television wiring in the first floor property in London Road, Southborough.

A fire alarm alerted residents of the two-storey block, who were able to get out safely.

Damage was contained in the upstairs flat.

"While it is natural to want to try and tackle a fire yourself, it is easy to underestimate just how overpowering fire smoke can be," said Tunbridge Wells firefighter Graham Knight.

"Just three breaths can knock you unconscious.

"Our advice is to leave the property as soon as you can to minimise the risk of injury, closing doors behind you where possible, to reduce the spread of smoke and to help contain the fire."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites