Kent Police use of force in Denby Collins arrest investigated

Denby Collins Image copyright Family picture
Image caption Denby Collins was unresponsive when he was arrested by Kent Police

The actions of police who handcuffed and arrested a man who was unconscious and who remains in a coma nearly six months later are being investigated.

The Independent Police Complains Commission (IPCC) said it would examine the use of force by Kent Police officers who arrested Denby Collins.

Mr Collins, 38, was held as a suspected burglar by police called to a house in Gillingham on 15 December.

The IPCC said he was unresponsive and was taken to Medway Maritime Hospital.

He was being restrained by at least one resident of the house when officers arrived.

First aid

Mr Collins' parents instructed lawyers earlier this year because they were unhappy with the information they received from police about what happened to their son.

"Our investigation will examine the use of force, including handcuffs, by the officers who attended the scene, the intelligence and information provided to the two initial attending officers and whether the arrest of Mr Collins was justifiable," said IPCC commissioner Mary Cunneen.

"We will also look at the first aid provided by the officers prior to the arrival of the ambulance service."

The family fear police failed to investigate adequately what happened between when they last spoke to their son at 20:00 GMT on 14 December and the early hours of the next day, when he was arrested.

The IPCC said complaints about the alleged failures of police to investigate the injuries Mr Collins had sustained, the information they provided after the arrest and their actions after he was taken to hospital were being investigated by Kent Police themselves.

Mr Collins was transferred to the Royal Hospital for neuro-disability in Putney last month, where he remains in a hypoxic coma.

His parents have said he has little chance of recovery.

Image copyright Family picture
Image caption Mr Collins has been in a coma in hospital since 15 December

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites