Kent firefighters fit alarm but blaze teenager sleeps

Firefighters fitted a smoke alarm in a Kent flat but were called back to find the occupant sleeping through a blaze.

Fire teams fitted the alarm in the Folkestone flat on Tuesday after tackling a fire thought to have been caused by a discarded cigarette.

A second fire, thought to have been caused by an electric fault, started in the 18-year-old's bedroom on Saturday.

Neighbours raised the alert and fire crews arrived to find him asleep. Fire teams said the alarm saved his life.

Firefighters woke the man in the first-floor flat in Cheriton Road and put out the blaze which had damaged his bedding.

The man was treated for the effects of smoke inhalation.

Crew manager Andy Batchelor said: "There is absolutely no doubt that the smoke alarm, and the prompt actions by his neighbours, saved this man's life."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites