Fire girl Billeigh Gould praised for saving family

A nine-year-old girl has been praised by firefighters for helping her family to escape unharmed when a heater set fire to the lounge at their home.

Billeigh Gould discovered the fire at the house in Palmer Avenue, Gravesend, Kent on Monday and immediately shut the door on the flames.

She alerted her mother, grandmother and older sibling, who were upstairs.

"There is no doubt Billeigh's actions helped prevent the fire spreading," said crew manager David Aylwin.

"It certainly reduced the amount of smoke in the property and allowed her family to get out unharmed."

The family called the emergency services and firefighters were able to contain the fire to the lounge.

Crews also saved the family's fish after heat from the fire melted their tank.

Kent Fire and Rescue Service said the fire began accidentally when a halogen heater set fire to a curtain.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites