Man stabbed to death in Folkestone street fight

Folkestone stabbing scene
Image caption Marine Terrace remained closed on Tuesday while police searched the area

A teenager was stabbed to death and three others received knife wounds during a street fight between Afghan youths outside a house party in Kent.

Two groups thought to be aged 15 to 18 were involved in the brawl in Marine Terrace, Folkestone, on Monday night.

Four people were taken to hospital with stab wounds. One died from his wounds, while another was critically injured.

Kent Police said five people had been arrested on suspicion of murder and violent disorder.

The confrontation spilled out onto the street just before 2030 GMT.

Officers said there had been tensions between groups from similar backgrounds in the town recently, resulting in arrests.

Ch Supt Chris Hogben, of Kent Police, said: "It would appear that there was a group of Afghan men having a party in Marine Terrace and another, who they were in dispute with, turned up.

"There was an initial confrontation in the building where we suspect that someone may well have been stabbed and it spilled out of the building and this is where most of the fighting took place."

Officers arrived at the scene to find more than 30 people either fighting or milling around.

Two more people were taken to hospital with superficial cuts and bruising.

'Bravado-type issues'

Mr Hogben said he suspected the dispute was provoked by a "relatively minor issue that had clearly got out of hand".

He acknowledged there had been recent problems, and a minor falling-out between similar groups.

"I can't say whether it was the same people but we made two or three arrests," he said.

"We have done quite a lot of work in the community, with our own community liaison officer looking to reduce the tensions, but we weren't able to predict what happened last night.

"Clearly we are going to be doing a lot of work establishing the motive for last night. It may well be that there were some bravado-type issues."

Mr Hogben urged the local community not to become too concerned, stressing that it was not a random fight in the street.

"This was a fall-out between two groups of young Afghan men and didn't involve the wider public," he said.

Marine Terrace and surrounding roads were closed on Tuesday morning but have since reopened.

Kent Police said 35 detectives were working on the case and interpreters had been drafted in to help with interviews.

Police have appealed for witnesses.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites