Kent

Man led to safety after Dover flat fire

A man in his 30s has been rescued after climbing on to a window ledge during a fire in his Kent flat.

Emergency teams called to the flat in Dover were unable to reach the man with a ladder but passed him blankets to keep him warm.

Crews tackled the fire, ventilated the second-floor flat, and then led the man to safety through the building. He was treated for smoke inhalation.

Kent fire service said it was thought smoking materials set fire to bedding.

One room was destroyed by the fire and the rest of the flat in Maisondieu Road was severely smoke-damaged, emergency teams said.

Fire service watch manager Antony Scott, who attended the incident at about 0630 GMT on Sunday, said it showed the clear dangers of smoking in bed.

He said: "It is easy to fall asleep without properly extinguishing a cigarette, resulting in a fire that could destroy your home and maybe take your life."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites