Kent

Kitchen appliance warning after Bearsted fire

A fire thought to have been started by a dishwasher has caused extensive damage to a house in Kent.

Fire crews have warned people not to use kitchen appliances such as dishwashers, tumble dryers or washing machines either overnight or while they are out of the house.

The fire in a house in Bearsted on Monday caused extensive damage to the kitchen and ground floor.

Crews were alerted after a neighbour in Fremlins Road raised the alarm.

It is thought the fire was caused by a fault in the dishwasher.

White goods warning

Maidstone station manager Grant Brooker said: "Fire can break out in kitchen appliances with very little warning.

"For this reason, I would strongly recommend that homeowners never operate white goods such as dishwashers, tumble dryers or washing machines while out of the property or overnight."

Crews used breathing apparatus to enter the building and the kitchen ceiling had to be cut away for firefighters to access hot spots.

A thermal imaging camera was used to check for any further fire in the property, and firefighters cleared the smoke from the house using a special fan.

The fire service said people should close doors when they go to bed at night, switch electrical equipment off at the wall and unplug it, and have working smoke alarms on every floor.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites