Hull police shooting: Lewis Skelton 'had mental health condition'

Lewis Skelton Image copyright Other
Image caption Lewis Skelton died in hospital after being Tasered and shot by Humberside Police officers

A man shot dead by police in Hull had mental health issues, his family has told the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).

Lewis Skelton, 31, was shot and Tasered by police officers in Francis Street on Tuesday. He died in hospital.

The IPCC said he was injured when "a firearms officer discharged two live rounds... following reports of a man carrying an axe" at about 09:20 GMT.

A post mortem examination revealed Mr Skelton died from gunshot wounds.

His family informed investigators of his mental health condition, the IPCC said.

More on this and other Hull stories

Mr Skelton has been described as "kind and caring" by his family, while neighbours said he was "mild mannered, quiet and polite".

Image caption Floral tributes have been left at the scene of the shooting

In a statement, the IPCC said it had recovered the weapons used and searched Mr Skelton's flat on Durham Street.

Tom Milsom, the IPCC's associate commissioner, said: "First and foremost, I would like to reiterate my sympathies to Mr Skelton's family and friends, and all those affected by this incident.

"We are at the early stages of the independent investigation and making good progress.

"Investigators remain in Hull over the coming days to conduct witness enquiries with local residents and businesses, as well as collating any additional evidence.

"On behalf of the family, I would like to request that their privacy be respected at this most difficult time."

Humberside Police said armed officers had been sent to the Holderness Road area in a response to calls made by members of the public.

Mr Skelton's sister Laura described her brother's death as a "nightmare" and said "what happened was out of character".

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites