Humberside Police apologise after broken legs strip search

Humberside Police station on Clough Road
Image caption The man, who had two broken legs, was dragged into the custody suite before being strip searched and left naked in a cell for five hours

Humberside Police has apologised after a man with broken legs was strip searched and left naked in a cell.

The 49-year-old was arrested and held in custody at the police station on Clough Road, Hull, in February 2014.

Five officers were found guilty of gross misconduct after an inquiry found he was dragged into the station then left naked in the cell for five hours.

Assistant Chief Constable Lee Freeman said: "We have unreservedly apologised to both the individual and his family."

Sgts David Beer and Nicholas Hunt, and PCs Edmund Richardson and Kevin Dodgson, were given final written warnings following an Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) investigation.

Another detention officer is appealing against his final written warning.

'No excuse'

The IPCC found PC Richardson and PC Dodgson had dragged the man, who spoke little English, into the custody suite despite him "pleading and showing signs of distress".

Sgt Beer and Sgt Hunt had failed to get him the medical attention he needed and were involved in a "haphazard approach" to the strip search, the watchdog said.

The man was finally taken to hospital after an inspector carrying out a custody review summoned a doctor and an ambulance.

No charges were brought against him after police discovered the allegation which led to his arrest was false.

Mr Freeman said the "care provided fell significantly below the standards we expect from our staff and officers".

Humberside Police and Crime Commissioner Keith Hunter said "nothing can excuse the manner in which the victim of this terrible incident was dealt with" and added he would conduct a follow-up with the force.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites