Families 'could have been killed' in Hull blaze, say police
A toddler was hospitalised and six families could have been killed by a fire possibly caused by copper smelting, said Humberside Police.
The blaze in a first floor flat on Roborough Close, Hull on Monday caused a roof to collapse.
Police said "criminal activity" was suspected as remnants of copper were found in the burnt out flat.
"As all the homes were occupied by sleeping families, this could have been fatal", said the force.
As the fire took hold the flames and toxic smoke travelled into the roof space of all the terraced flats.
A two year-old girl was taken to hospital as a precautionary measure but she was later discharged, said police.
It is possible the flat was being used for stripping wire and copper and copper can explode when heated, the force added.
A joint police and fire investigation is currently underway.