Tunisian attacks: Survivor hid in hotel laundry

John Carter
Image caption John Carter said he just felt "numb" after the attack ended

A survivor of the Tunisian attack has told how he was hidden in a hotel laundry room by hotel staff.

John Carter and his wife Lyn became separated after the shooting began but he described how, as he was hiding, his wife fell on top of him.

Mr Carter, from Hull, said Tunisian staff at the hotel saved hundreds of people's lives.

Among those who died in the attack were Bruce Wilkinson, 72, from Goole and Claire Windass, 54, from Hull.

The Carters, who flew home on Saturday, were staying at the Hotel Imperial Marhaba in Sousse.

'Big explosions'

Mr Carter said he was playing darts and his wife was on a sun lounger when they heard the first shots.

"We heard five bangs and everyone stopped and we just thought it was fireworks.

"Then we heard a rattle, a big noise, and the staff said 'run'. Lyn went one way and I went the same way."

Mr Carter said he lost sight of his wife after stopping briefly to urge an older man to run.

He ran into the kitchen area and was hidden in the laundry room.

"Then there were big explosions and then gunshots.

"You didn't know what was going on, and you just saw some legs under where we were hid and they were shouting at them to get in with us, and then someone fell on top of me and it was my wife."

Image copyright Windass family
Image caption Claire Windass was on the beach when the attack happened
Image copyright Bruce Wilkinson family
Image caption Bruce Wilkinson was described as a devoted family man

Mr Carter said he felt "numb" at what he saw when he left the laundry.

"They were bringing the dead bodies through the lobby area, there was a massive police and army presence and people who had lost people."

Among those killed was 54-year-old Claire Windass, from Hull.

She was on the beach with her husband John, who survived, when the attack happened.

Mrs Windass, who leaves behind two children and two stepchildren, worked within North Lincolnshire Council's learning disability and intermediate care services team for 18 years.

In a statement, the authority said: "We are deeply saddened to hear of this devastating news. Our thoughts are with her family at this time.

"She was a popular and well-respected member of staff who will be greatly missed."

'Kind and compassionate'

She lived in Scunthorpe for 35 years before moving to Hull in 2012.

Her family described the 54-year-old as a "warm, kind-hearted woman who made friends easily and was loved by everyone who knew her".

The Labour MP for East Hull, Karl Turner, said his thoughts were with the family.

Another East Yorkshire victim was Bruce Wilkinson, a retired power station worker from Goole.

His family said: "Bruce was a loving family man, and in his working life worked to support the care of others. He was a kind and compassionate man, with a dry sense of humour.

"He was fun-loving, and will be deeply missed by friends and family alike."

More on this story