Flamborough helicopter crash inquiry hampered by fog

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionThick fog hinders the investigation at Flamborough

Thick fog has hampered investigations into a helicopter crash off the East Yorkshire coast that killed two men.

The Bell JetRanger was on a flight from West Lothian to Nottinghamshire when it crashed into the sea at Flamborough at about 13:40 BST on Tuesday.

The bodies of the two men, who have not yet been named, were recovered from the aircraft on Tuesday evening.

Investigators said they were unable to examine the wreckage because of the "prevailing weather conditions".

The Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) said its team of investigators had arrived at the site earlier.

The wreckage is thought to be 200ft (60m) below the cliff top.

Image copyright Ross Parry
Image caption Some wreckage was recovered from the scene of the crash on Tuesday

Engineer Andrew Blackie, from the AAIB, said getting to the helicopter was difficult.

"[The wreckage] is almost under an overhang so it's going to be a very challenging recovery.

"There are a number of options under discussion including recovering the helicopter by sea, but there are issues there with the offshore rocks.

"Alternatively we may bring in a much larger helicopter and lift it from the bottom of the cliff. But that's dependent on having suitable weather, which we don't have right now."

The helicopter took off from Dechmont, near Livingston in West Lothian, and was due to land at Humberside Airport for refuelling between 13:30 and 14:00 BST, before flying on to Retford, Nottinghamshire.

Eyewitnesses reported hearing a "loud crack" before the aircraft crashed near Selwick Bay.

Humberside Police said officers were "offering support to the families of the deceased".

AAIB investigators are expected to resume their operation on Thursday morning.

At the scene: James Piekos, BBC Radio Humberside

The conditions were very poor in Flamborough this morning, and it's not getting any better.

There are strong winds, a thick sea fret and it's very, very damp.

A police cordon has been in place since the crash, a lone police car keeping watch near the golf cub. The policeman was telling me how poor conditions were overnight, very strong winds, and they've had to change locations themselves because of it.

I have walked along the coastal path on Flamborough Head and the tide is rising, the tide has got to the height now where I can't see any wreckage at all, so it's possible the wreckage has been covered by the tide.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites