Humberside

Firefighter resuscitates pet dog after Hull house fire

A firefighter saved a pet dog's life by giving it mouth-to-mouth resuscitation for half an hour following a fire.

Firefighter Mike Dunn resuscitated the dog after it was pulled from the blaze showing no signs of life.

Crews from three stations tackled the fire which began when a pan was left unattended on a cooker at a property in Silverdale Road, Hull, on Wednesday.

Fire officials said it was rare to find dogs in house fires needing treatment as they are able to escape more easily.

The technique used for mouth-to-mouth on dogs is to hold the snout shut while blowing into the nostrils.

Mr Dunn said: "The property was quite heavily smoke logged and the dog was handed to me outside showing little sign of life.

"I gave it mouth-to-mouth and oxygen therapy for about 30 minutes.

"The dog appeared to recover so it was left with a neighbour. Hopefully it will make a full recovery."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites