Five are rescued from Hull house fire

Firefighters have rescued five people, a dog and a cat from a house fire in Hull after a smoke detector failed to activate.

Emergency crews were called to the house in Gloucester Street, off Hessle Road, at 0111 GMT.

Three occupants were trapped upstairs and rescued by ladder, while another two people who had attempted a rescue were led to safety by fire officers.

All five were treated in hospital for smoke inhalation.

The fire is not being treated as suspicious.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites