Humberside

Toddler injured in Hull fire died from virus

Michael and mum Amy Poole
Image caption Michael's mum Amy described him as a "lovely little boy"

A three-year-old boy left brain damaged after a fire in Hull two years ago died after developing a virus as a result of his injuries, an inquest heard.

Michael Poole was left with five per cent brain capacity after his bedroom in Orchard Park was engulfed in flames.

The inquest heard his brain damage left him vulnerable to other illnesses, and he died in September. A verdict of accidental death was recorded.

Mum Amy Poole said: "Michael is sadly missed. He was a lovely little boy."

The inquest was told how neighbours tried to rescue Michael from the fire, before he was pulled out by firefighters.

Earlier this year a charity rugby match was held by Humberside Fire and Rescue Service to raise money for the toddler's disability equipment.

Grandfather Dennis Poole said: "Michael was still Michael, a smashing little grandson.

"All I can do is thank Alder Hey Hospital for giving us an extra two years and the fire brigade for getting him out. We've had an extra two years with Michael which has been smashing."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites