Hereford & Worcester

Crews tackle roof fire at Worcestershire mansion

A fire has been tackled in a wooden roof area at a Worcestershire mansion.

Crews were called to a five-storey property in Main Street, South Littleton, Evesham, at just before 1900 BST on Wednesday.

The fire was brought under control by 2125 BST and was believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.

Damage was kept to a minimum thanks to the actions of the first fire officers to arrive at the scene, the Hereford and Worcester service said.

The fire broke out in the wooden roof area immediately above a large dining room in the house.

Those inside noticed the fire in its "very early stages", the fire service said.

Two appliances from Evesham and two further appliances from Pebworth and Broadway were deployed along with an aerial ladder platform and support pump from Worcester.

Station manager Toby Kempton, who managed the incident, said: "We believe this fire had the potential to be far more serious than it was."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites