Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Farnborough Village Hotel evacuated after chlorine leak

Chemical incident at Farnborough Village Hotel Image copyright @Firesnapper999
Image caption Guests were asked to evacuate the hotel shortly after 06:00

A hotel in Hampshire had to be evacuated after a leak of hazardous swimming pool chemicals.

The chlorine leak at the Village Hotel in Farnborough was discovered when a member of staff found a gas alarm sounding in the pool plant room shortly after 06:00 BST.

More than 120 guests had to leave the building and a cordon was put in place.

Emergency crews wearing air-tight suits discovered a small release of chlorine from a pipe which was then isolated.

The room was ventilated and the cordon was lifted by 09:00 BST.

Image copyright @Firesnapper999
Image caption Firefighters using breathing apparatus monitored the air in the plant room
Image copyright @Firesnapper999
Image caption The gas alarm was found by a member of staff during routine morning checks

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites