Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Toddler died after swallowing battery from 3D TV glasses

Francesca Asan Image copyright Asan family
Image caption Two-year-old Francesca Asan was born with a major artery closer than normal to her windpipe

A toddler died a week after swallowing a button battery used in 3D TV glasses, an inquest has found.

Two-year-old Francesca Asan was taken to Basingstoke hospital in May after becoming ill and died within hours. A small battery was found later during tests.

An inquest heard it burnt through an artery close to her windpipe.

Coroner Andrew Bradley returned a verdict of misadventure and urged parents to be cautious.

If accidentally swallowed, the small, round batteries can get lodged in the oesophagus and burn a hole through its lining.

The inquest heard Francesca was born with an artery out of place, closer than normal to her windpipe. When the battery slowly burnt through her windpipe it proved "catastrophic".

Image caption Doctors have warned of the dangers posed to children by button batteries

The battery was only discovered during a post mortem examination. Mr Asan later discovered a battery from the family's 3D TV glasses was missing.

"If you don't need them, throw them away. Buy them when you need them rather than store them," he said.

Mr Asan said his daughter had "a strong will and a strong character".

Last month London's Great Ormond Street Hospital revealed it had seen a big increase in cases in the past year.

Cadisha Brown, of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, said: "People aren't really aware of the damage it can do the internal organs which is why we're raising awareness of the issue and warning parents to be vigilant and be careful of having batteries around children."

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites