Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Southampton family's high-rise flat wrecked by fire

Fire in high-rise block Image copyright Hampshire Fire & Rescue
Image caption The fire started in an electrical fuse box

Fire has wrecked a family's home in a high-rise block in Southampton.

The blaze started in an electrical fuse box in the ninth-floor flat in Millbank House, Graham Street, in the St Mary's area of the city, on Saturday evening.

Some residents who left their homes were unable to get back in while firefighters tackled the blaze.

It took crews from three stations an hour to extinguish the fire, which broke out shortly before 20:00 GMT. No-one was injured.

Southampton City Council has moved the family to emergency accommodation.

During such emergencies, the fire service said, residents in high-rise blocks are advised to remain in their flats unless their property is directly affected by fire or smoke.

A spokeswoman said the buildings were equipped with fire doors and warned that people moving through the building could be putting themselves in danger as well as hindering the emergency services.

Image copyright Hampshire Fire & Rescue
Image caption The fire service said 70% of the property was damaged by heat and smoke, while 20% was damaged by fire
Image copyright Google
Image caption Fire broke out on the ninth floor of the high-rise block

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites