Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Albert Xhediku named as Portsmouth pitch electrocution victim

Investigation at football pitch
Image caption Emergency services were called to the leisure centre on Sunday evening

A man who died from an electric shock on an artificial football pitch has been named as Albert Xhediku.

The 34-year-old died in hospital after he was electrocuted on the outdoor pitch at Mountbatten Leisure Centre in Portsmouth on Sunday evening.

Hampshire Constabulary said investigations into the circumstances of his death are continuing.

The centre is managed by Parkwood Community Leisure on behalf of Portsmouth City Council.

The taxi firm which Mr Xhediku worked for paid tribute to him on Facebook.

The company posted: "Our deepest sympathies and thoughts are with the family and friends of Albert Xhediku, taken away in such tragic circumstances. R I P Albert - you will be missed."

Manager Glenn Madden said Mr Xhediku "was a good lad... You wouldn't wish this on anyone".

He said Mr Xhediku had worked with the company since October and had recently returned from visiting family in the Balkans.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites