Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Man dies after electric shock at Mountbatten Leisure Centre

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionThe 34-year-old man was taken to the Queen Alexandra Hospital but later died

A man has died from an electric shock on an outdoor artificial football pitch at a Portsmouth leisure centre.

South Central Ambulance Service said paramedics were sent to the Mountbatten Leisure Centre at 18:30 GMT on Sunday.

The 34-year-old man was taken to the Queen Alexandra Hospital but later died.

The centre's operator, Parkwood Community Leisure, said the man was not one of its employees.

The company manages the centre on behalf of Portsmouth City Council.

David Williams, the council's chief executive, said: "We are deeply saddened this has happened and our thoughts are with the family. Our centre operator will be assisting the police with their investigations."

Image caption Emergency services were called to the leisure centre on Sunday evening
Image caption The area was likely to remain cordoned off for the remainder of Monday, police said.

A spokesman for Parkwood Community Leisure said: "We have launched a formal investigation into this incident alongside our Health and Safety consultants from the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents."

Southern Electric said its engineers had attended to ensure the area was safe.

Hampshire Constabulary said the area remained cordoned off and would remain so for the rest of the day while investigations continued.

The man's next of kin has been informed but officers said his identity would not be confirmed until Tuesday.

A Health and Safety Executive spokesman said it had no involvement as the local authority had responsibility for enforcing health and safety legislation at the location.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites