Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Choudhry Zishan murder: Brothers jailed for life

Choudhry Zishan Image copyright Hampshire Police
Image caption Choudhry Zishan became unconscious shortly after the attack began

Two brothers have been jailed for life for the brutal murder of a newsagent outside his Hampshire home.

Choudhry Zishan, 35, was attacked in Eastleigh in the early hours of 30 March, while his pregnant wife and son were in their nearby flat.

Jonathan McKinley, 23, and his brother Samuel, 25, will each serve a minimum of 28 years.

Mr Zishan had been on his way to work when he was subjected to a "savage, drunken beating".

He died in hospital from head injuries.

Image copyright Hampshire Police
Image caption Jonathan and Samuel McKinley had been drinking before the attack on Mr Zishan

Winchester Crown Court heard how Mr Zishan's widow struggles with life, bringing up two children without their father.

She told the court he was her best friend and the best husband.

She said: "There are no words to explain how I and my children are suffering without him."

The judge said the brothers, of no fixed address, had shown no remorse for killing "a thoroughly decent and hard working man".

Speaking after the sentencing, Mr Zishan's brother in law, Zafar Iqbal, said the trial result was a "comfort".

"No sentence is bringing him back. Twenty eight years is a fair bit of time for them to learn their lessons."

During the trial, the court heard that the pair had been drinking all night and were "spoiling for a fight" when they encountered Mr Zishan.

Andrew Langdon QC, prosecuting, said Mr Zishan became unconscious shortly after the attack began and was unable to defend himself.

The brothers stole cash, credit cards and cigarettes from their victim before using the money to buy more alcohol.

Terri Connor, of the Crown Prosecution Service said the brothers launched a "sustained and gratuitous attack" and witnesses living nearby were awoken by the sound of the attack.

Image copyright Police
Image caption CCTV footage captured the brothers meeting Choudhry Zishan before the attack

It emerged in court that the brothers had been stopped by police for "hostile behaviour" shortly before the attack.

Det Supt Paul Barton defended the actions of the police.

He said: "No-one could have predicted what happened to Mr Zishan 15 minutes after that."

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites