Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Choudhry Zishan death: McKinley brothers guilty of newsagent murder

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionJonathan and Samuel McKinley were found guilty of murdering Choudhry Zishan

Two brothers have been found guilty of murdering a newsagent outside his Hampshire home.

Choudhry Zishan, 35, was assaulted in Eastleigh in the early hours of 30 March, while his pregnant wife and son were in the nearby flat.

Jonathan McKinley, 23, and his brother Samuel, 25, denied killing Mr Zishan.

During the trial, jurors at Winchester Crown Court heard that Mr Zishan had been on his way to work when he was robbed, beaten and left for dead.

He died in hospital from head injuries.

During the trial, the brothers, of no fixed address, were accused of killing Mr Zishan in a "savage, drunken beating".

Image copyright Hampshire Police
Image caption Mr Zishan became unconscious shortly after the attack began

Andrew Langdon QC, prosecuting, said Mr Zishan became unconscious shortly after the attack began and was unable to defend himself.

The brothers stole cash, credit cards and cigarettes from their victim.

'Senseless and brutal'

Prosecutors told the court the brothers had been drinking and "spoiling for a fight".

After the verdict, Mr Zishan's younger brother Ali Fayyaz paid tribute to his sibling.

"He was polite, he loved to chat and loved to work, he'd come back and see the kids - that's what his life revolved around," he said.

"Everything is very fresh again. The things we found out in the trial were very painful."

Terri Connor, of the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said the brothers launched a "sustained and gratuitous attack".

"Witnesses living nearby were awoken by the sound of the attack. Repeated threats were heard including, 'give me the money or I'll stab you in the face' and some even saw some movements, a man being savagely attacked," he added.

Image copyright Police
Image caption CCTV footage captured the brothers meeting Choudhry Zishan before the attack

The trial heard how the brothers used the money they stole to buy more alcohol.

When they realised what they had done they tried to destroy evidence by washing their clothes.

It emerged in court that the brothers had been stopped by police for "hostile behaviour" shortly before the attack on the newsagent.

Det Supt Paul Barton defended the actions of the police.

He said: "Officers have to make decisions based on the information they have at that time.

"They applied common sense and sound judgement, in my opinion. They took the decision that they could defuse the situation by moving the McKinley brothers on.

"No-one could have predicted what happened to Mr Zishan 15 minutes after that."

The brothers are due to be sentenced on Friday.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites