Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Andrew Toseland assault: Sergeant faces misconduct case

Andrew Toseland
Image caption The attack on Andrew Toseland has left him needing 24-hour care

A police officer is to face a misconduct procedure over an incident in which a man was attacked by a group of people he had asked to be quiet.

Andrew Toseland, 51, was left in a coma after being stamped on outside Garland Court in Gosport in August 2012.

An Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) report said a Hampshire police sergeant "did not sufficiently grasp the issues".

It follows a probe into how reports of anti-social behaviour were handled.

Mr Toseland suffered severe brain injuries, requires long-term care and is no longer able to walk. His attackers were jailed last month.

The IPCC said: "The investigation concluded that an officer, a sergeant, did not sufficiently grasp the issues at Garland Court and breached the standards of professional behaviour expected by inadequately supervising local officers."

"Following issues identified during the investigation it was also recommended that Hampshire Constabulary carry out a review of training provided to establish its effectiveness and to identify whether any further needs or support are required by officers."

Sentence reviewed

It said Hampshire Police had accepted the findings of the report and arrangements were being made for the officer to face a misconduct meeting.

A Hampshire Constabulary spokesman said: "Our Professional Standards Department has accepted the findings, and we'll update the IPCC in due course once a misconduct meeting is completed."

Portsmouth Crown Court heard how Mr Toseland and his brother were disturbed by a group of young men who had been drinking heavily at a party in the same block of flats on Forton Road.

After asking them to be quiet, one of the group, Samuel Armstrong, 19, delivered a "flying kick" and stamped on Mr Toseland's head up to 15 times "with great force".

Armstrong was jailed for five years four months after admitting grievous bodily harm to Mr Toseland, and received an eight-month concurrent sentence for causing actual bodily harm to his brother.

His sentence has been referred to the Court of Appeal where three judges will decide if it should be increased.

A second man, Brandon Fisher, 19, was jailed for 27 months after pleading guilty to unlawful wounding for his part in the assault on Mr Toseland.

More on this story