Damien Nettles: Anonymous £10,000 reward extended
A £10,000 reward for information that helps trace the remains of a teenager who went missing on the Isle of Wight 17 years ago has been extended.
The money was put forward by an anonymous businessman last month in an attempt to find Damien Nettles, who police believe may have been murdered.
Damien disappeared after a night out with friends in Cowes on 2 November 1996 when he was 16.
The reward, due to expire on Friday, has been extended until 11 October.
The businessman said he had prolonged the reward following a flurry of emails in the past few days.
'Last throw of dice'
He said: "I thought it would be valuable to extend it. It's possible that we are getting closer to finding the remains of Damien Nettles.
"This is a last throw of the dice."
Anyone with information is asked to make contact with the businessman.
A Hampshire Constabulary spokesman said: "Any information received will be checked in line with police standards for evidence. This process will decide whether any new lines of inquiry and police action can be justified.
"Any search for human remains requires a substantial investment of police time, expertise and resources. Officers would need verifiable information to justify such a search.
"We always appreciate every single sincere thought and effort to help the police in any case."
A £20,000 reward offered by Hampshire Constabulary expired in April.
In 2011, detectives arrested eight people on suspicion of murdering Damien, who lived in Woodvale Road in Gurnard, Cowes.
They were questioned over the course of a year and released with no further action.