Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Jamie Dack bin murder trial: Three people found guilty

Ryan Woodmansey, left, Andrew Dwyer-Skeats and Donna Chalk
Image caption Ryan Woodmansey, left, Andrew Dwyer-Skeats and Donna Chalk will be sentenced on Wednesday

Three people have been found guilty of killing a homeless man in Southampton and burning his body in a bin.

Fire crews found the charred remains of Jamie Dack, 22, in an industrial bin on 8 April last year.

Ryan Woodmansey, 32, Andrew Dwyer-Skeats, 27, and Donna Chalk, 22, were all convicted of murder following a retrial at Winchester Crown Court.

A previous trial was halted when a fourth defendant, Lee Nicholls, 29, changed his plea to guilty.

The jury had heard how the four locked Mr Dack in a flat at Bevois Mews, Southampton, and attacked him with a baseball bat, bottles and knives.

Image caption The previous trial was halted after Lee Nicholls changed his plea to guilty

The gang forced him to hand over his bank Pin code and stole his laptop.

They killed Mr Dack to stop him from going to police.

Jurors were shown images of vulnerable Mr Dack bloodied and tortured, which were taken on his mobile phone before he was murdered.

The jury heard during the 10-week retrial that Woodmansey, Dwyer-Skeats and Chalk went to a rave in Bournemouth on Good Friday after Mr Dack's death.

They returned the next morning and Nicholls joined them at the flat.

The four were arrested after Mr Dack's body was discovered in a bin at Empress Road Industrial Estate in Southampton.

Mark Gammon, senior crown prosecutor for the Crown Prosecution Service, said the killers were fuelled by "mixed and developing motives".

'No remorse'

Mr Gammon said: "Their initial motive was the stealing and selling of Mr Dack's few possessions and withdrawing what little money he had from his bank account in order to buy drugs and attend a rave.

"On the day before the murder, the violence quickly escalated after false allegations were made that Mr Dack had inappropriately touched the ex-girlfriend of Lee Nicholls, who wanted to get back with her.

Image caption Jamie Dack was locked in a flat and attacked with a baseball bat, bottles and knives

"Complicit in these lies, Donna Chalk knew that this would enrage Lee Nicholls and Andrew Dwyer-Skeats, and it seems that it gave her pleasure to wind them up to a state of uninhibited aggression in this way."

He added: "At no point did any of them show any remorse for what they did or display any empathy towards the plight of Mr Dack."

Chalk, of Byron Road, Southampton, Dwyer-Skeats, of Bevois Mews, Southampton and Woodmansey, of no fixed abode, each admitted a charge of perverting the course of justice.

They are due to be sentenced along with Nicholls at Winchester Crown Court on Wednesday.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites