Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Gosport flat attack man Andrew Toseland 'just a shell'

Andrew Toseland
Image caption Andrew Toseland suffered brain damage in the attack outside his flat

The family of a man left in a coma after an attack outside his Hampshire flat have asked doctors to let him die if his condition worsens.

Andrew Toseland, 49, was attacked outside his home in Gosport last month after allegedly asking a group of people to be quiet.

He is in a "vegetative state" in Queen Alexandra hospital in Portsmouth.

His mother Nina Toseland, 78, said if his condition deteriorated further medical support would be withdrawn.

Three people have been arrested in connection with the incident and the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has launched an investigation into how police dealt with anti-social behaviour at the flats in the lead-up to the attack.

Mrs Toseland said her son was attacked shortly after midnight on 25 August when he went outside for the second time to ask people making noise nearby to be quiet.

'No life left'

Mrs Toseland, who is recovering from cancer, said sometimes she "cannot bear" to visit her son in hospital.

She said it was "only fair" to withdraw medical support from her son if he deteriorates any further as he has "no life left".

Image caption Nina Toseland said anti-social behaviour was allowed to get out of control at the block of flats

"He's not alive now - he's just a shell," she said. "When he opens his eyes there's nothing there. He has to feed through a tube.

"He has contracted an infection and the family made the decision that he would be allowed to die if he got any worse because it's not fair on him living in that state for the rest of his life.

"He never bothered anybody and was shy and quiet."

Mrs Toseland said she was "angry" about what happened and believes anti-social behaviour was allowed to get "out of control" in the Garland Court flats.

Man charged

Ch Insp Jason Kenny, Fareham and district commander for Hampshire Police, said more action was needed at the flats to reduce anti-social behaviour.

Samuel Armstrong, 18, from Gosport, has been charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent and causing actual bodily harm and will appear in court on 3 December.

A 16-year-old boy and an 18-year-old man, both from Gosport, were arrested on suspicion of wounding with intent and have been released on bail.

A 22-year-old woman from Gosport was arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender and perverting the course of justice and remains on police bail.

A further four men were arrested over the incident and were later released with no further action.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites