Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Isabelle Harris killed by barbecue fumes at campsite, inquest hears

Holmsley campsite in the New Forest
Image caption Paramedics were called to the campsite where the family were on an Easter break

A six-year-old girl died after inhaling fumes from a barbecue her parents had brought into their tent in the New Forest, an inquest has heard.

Paramedics were called to Holmsley campsite early on 6 April when Isabelle Harris was found "unresponsive". She was later pronounced dead in hospital.

Her parents Lee and Tracey Harris, from Gosport, said their "lives have been devastated" by her death.

A verdict of accidental death was recorded at an inquest in Bournemouth.

The inquest heard how they had brought the charcoal-burning barbecue inside the tent in order to keep warm. Isabelle was poisoned by carbon monoxide fumes.

Her parents and paramedics tried to resuscitate Isabelle before she was taken by ambulance to Southampton General Hospital.

The girl's parents had been held on suspicion of murder but were later released.

Life without daughter

East Dorset Coroner Sheriff Payne described Isabelle's death as "a tragic accident".

In a statement the couple said: "It is difficult to put into words what the past few months have been like without her.

"It is our sincere hope that no-one ever again has to go through what we have been through."

Police warned of the dangers of taking a barbecue into a tent or confined space.

Det Insp John Geden, of Hampshire Police, said: "Tragically, many are not aware of the significant risk from carbon monoxide this poses, and our message to all is a very simple one: please do not take barbecues indoors at all.

"If we can stop one more family from having to go through this terrible experience, then Isabelle's death will not have been in vain."

Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) spokesman David Walker said: "The main risks are from the gas that is colourless, odourless and tasteless, so we think that better product warnings, more information at campsites and local retailers would go a long way to address this."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites