New war memorial walls unveiled at Southampton Cenotaph
A memorial to commemorate Southampton's war dead has been unveiled as part of Armistice Day services in the city.
Eight 2.85m (9ft) by 1.2m (4ft) glass panels replace the roll of honour on the existing Portland stone Cenotaph in Watts Park which has been eroded.
They list 3,298 names of people killed serving in the two world wars and subsequent conflicts.
Councillor John Hannides said: "It is a lasting memorial, which will mean their bravery will never be forgotten."
The memorial has cost £130,000, with Southampton City Council contributing £50,000.
An appeal, supported by the local Chamber of Commerce and The Royal British Legion, to raise the rest of the money has so far reached nearly £14,000.
The Royal British Legion's Archie Parsons said: "It will provide the city with a wonderful memorial alongside the existing Cenotaph and be a fitting and lasting tribute to all those Southampton service men and women who gave their lives for our freedom."
The 1,992 names already on the Cenotaph have also been inscribed on the walls, and there is enough room for another 400 names to be added to the walls in the future.
It is the first time those who died in modern conflicts have had their names permanently inscribed on to a monument in the city.
The walls will be unveiled by veterans and local schoolchildren later and officially blessed by the mayor of Southampton as part of the annual Remembrance service on Sunday.