Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Damien Nettles: Five men arrested on suspicion of murder re-bailed

Damien Nettles
Image caption The last sighting of Damien was on CCTV at Yorkie's fish and chip shop

Five men arrested on suspicion of the murder of a teenager on the Isle of Wight 15 years ago have been re-bailed.

Damien Nettles was last seen after a night out in West Cowes on 2 November 1996, when he was aged 16. His body has never been found.

In May, police arrested and bailed five men on suspicion of murder following new information and then began searching marsh land near Newport.

On Wednesday they were re-bailed until 1 February, pending further inquiries.

A Hampshire police spokesman said: "Detectives continue to follow leads established over the past 18 months about what happened to Damien Nettles in 1996.

"Damien's body has not been located or identified at this time."

Four of the men re-bailed are are from the Isle of Wight and include a 48-year-old man from Sandown; a 45-year-old man from Cowes; a 50-year-old man from Newport and a 37-year-old man from Ryde.

A 40-year-old man from Gravesend, Kent, has also been re-bailed.

Last sighting

Damien had lived with his family in Woodvale Road, Gurnard, but they have since moved to Texas in the US.

Specialist teams searching for his body used rafts to comb marsh land and water at Dodnor Nature Reserve, near Newport, in May after police received new information.

The searches were unsuccessful but officers said "the search for Damien goes on".

The last confirmed sighting of Damien was on CCTV at Yorkie's fish and chip shop in Cowes High Street at about 23:45 GMT.

He has not been seen since despite his family keeping the disappearance in the spotlight over the years.

His mother Valerie, 58, and his brother and two sisters have campaigned to find out what happened to him.

Officers urged anyone with information to contact them.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites