Cotswold council 'unaware of safety responsibility'

image captionKajil Devi died in hospital after she was pulled from a lake at Cotswold Country Park and Beach

A council did not know it was responsible for health and safety checks at the Cotswold Country Park and Beach, a report has revealed.

Cotswold District Council only learned of its responsibility last year, when an investigation was launched into the death of Kajil Devi, 15.

Kajil, from Feltham in London, died after she was pulled unconscious from a bathing lake at the park in July 2010.

The Cotswold Country Park and Beach forms part of the Cotswold Water Park.

In 2002, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) was responsible for health and safety at the country park and beach but in 2007, the site was leased to a private company and responsibility fell to the district council.

In 2008 there were two accidents at the park and the council contacted the HSE, which dealt with them.

Last year, when the investigation began into Kajil's death, the HSE told the council that it in fact had responsibility.

The report, which recommends that the council reviews and updates its database of which sites it has health and safety responsibility for, is being presented to councillors on Tuesday.

More on this story

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.