Essex

Sunlight on mirror causes Essex house blaze

Fire caused by mirror Image copyright Essex County Fire and Rescue
Image caption Part of the furniture had to be cut away after reflected sunlight caused a fire

A bedroom was partially destroyed by a fire caused by sunlight reflecting on a mirror.

The blaze started in a house in Third Avenue, Walton-on-the-Naze, Essex, on Sunday morning.

It started after "sunlight on a mirror caused a desk to ignite", Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said.

No-one was injured, but an officer warned: "This incident shows how easy it is for magnifying or reflective objects to cause fires."

He added: "Please ensure there are no such objects on your window sills or anywhere in your home where they are in direct sunlight."

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites