Essex

Chelmsford mirror beam fire leaves couple homeless

Fifth Avenue, Chelmsford Image copyright Google
Image caption The fire started in a bedroom shortly before 14:00 GMT on Thursday in Fifth Avenue, Chelmsford

An elderly couple was left homeless after a fire was started by the sun being reflected into their house by a mirror, it has emerged.

The fire started in a bedroom shortly before 14:00 GMT on Thursday in Fifth Avenue, Chelmsford.

A fire service investigation found the sun's reflection hit a mirror "causing an intense beam of heat to catch fire to nearby curtains or clothing".

The first floor was left damaged by both fire and smoke.

Station officer Stephen Harrison said: "To minimise the risk of fire it's important to make sure mirrors and other reflective objects such as crystal and glass ornaments should be kept out of direct sunlight."

The couple involved were unharmed.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites