Carbon monoxide theory over Chelmsford car death pair
A man and a woman who were found dead in a car on a residential estate may have died from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning, say police.
Thomas Putt, 20, and Nikki Willis, 23, were discovered in Fox Crescent, Chelmsford, on Monday morning. They were pronounced dead at the scene.
Post-mortem tests have proved inconclusive.
Essex Police warned anyone who modifies a car to get it checked out by a qualified mechanic.
Police said they were not treating the deaths of engineering apprentice Mr Putt, of Wren Close, Leigh-on-Sea, and shop worker Ms Willis, of Fox Crescent, Chelmsford, as suspicious.
'Angel has wings'
A police spokesman said: "Current investigations do not indicate their deaths were the result of a deliberate act.
"One of the lines of inquiry police are investigating is the possibility they may have died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.
"Tests will be carried out on the vehicle, which will include establishing whether any modifications have taken place."
Ms Willis's family paid tribute to a woman who "loved life and always had a smile".
"You will never be forgotten, always and forever in our hearts and memories. Our angel now has her wings.," said the statement.
Mr Putt's family said: "We are utterly shocked and devastated at the death of our darling son Tom. He was a whirlwind in our lives from day one, always cheeky, always smiling."