Legionella bacteria found at Walton-on-the-Naze Lifestyles centre
A visitor to a council-owned leisure centre was hospitalised after contracting Legionnaires' Disease, it has emerged.
Tests in the fitness room showers at Walton-on-the-Naze Lifestyles proved positive for legionella bacteria.
The customer, who had used the fitness room and shower facilities, fell ill on 18 November.
Tendring District Council said its fitness room showers would be closed until the bacteria was eradicated.
The council said it did not know whether the customer was still in hospital.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has been informed.
Lynda McWilliams, the council's member for leisure health and wellbeing, said: "As soon as we were contacted by Public Health England, the showers used by the customer were closed down and test samples taken.
"All the necessary bodies were informed while we awaited the results of the tests which were carried out at an independent laboratory.
"The council's corporate health and safety advisor is currently working to find and eliminate the source of the bacteria."
This will involve dismantling and disinfecting the shower heads, flushing the system and taking more samples.