Bouncy castle death: Summer Grant support messages 'overwhelming'

Summer Grant Image copyright Essex Police
Image caption More than £5,000 has been raised so far in memory of seven-year-old Summer Grant

The family of a girl who died after the bouncy castle she was playing on blew away said the messages of support they have received have been "overwhelming".

Summer Grant, seven, from Norwich, died in Harlow, Essex, on 26 March.

A crowdfunding page set up the next day received 350 donations and has already beaten its £5,000 target.

Summer's uncle Shawn Grant said the messages, donations, flowers and teddy bears left in her memory were "important for the family".

"It's such a tragic thing to happen. She was a little angel - so kind, so loving, so polite - adorable little girl," he told the BBC.

"On social media, the messages we've received, it's just been wonderful, it really has.

"I just want to say, on behalf of the family, thank you so much for all the flowers, gifts, donations towards the funeral costs."

Dozens of teddy bears have been left at the entrance to the park where Summer was injured, along with bunches of flowers and other tributes.

Follow updates on this story and other Essex news

Image caption Dozens of teddy bears have been left at the scene of the tragedy
Image caption Teddy bears sit alongside flowers and cards at the gates of Harlow Town Park

A comment thought to be left by Summer's father, Lee, said the money raised on the crowdfunding page would be used to "give my beautiful daughter the send off she deserves".

A 24-year-old woman and a man, 27, have been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter by gross negligence and bailed until May.

Paramedics were called to Harlow Town Park on Saturday afternoon where they treated Summer, but she later died from multiple injuries in hospital.

It is believed a strong gust of wind swept the dome-shaped inflatable she was playing on 150 metres across the park, over the top of a number of trailers and caravans.

Police have asked anyone with mobile phone video footage of the incident to get in touch.

Image caption Police want to hear from anyone with mobile phone footage of what happened

The crowdfunding page was set up by a man called Ken Spooner, whom the BBC has tried to contact.

Other messages attributed to family members, including Summer's grandmother, thanked those who had donated.

"I want to say thank you all who donated and for the heartfelt messages here. It will give our beautiful angel a good send off," she wrote.

Many of those who donated left messages of support, with one writing: "No amount of money can help but I hope at least we can help with some of the financial burden of what comes next."

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites