Man who died in Essex house fire was soldier
A man who died in a house fire in Essex was a soldier, it has been announced.
Firefighters were called to the building in Chestnut Avenue, Clacton-on-Sea, just before 0800 BST on Saturday.
After putting out the fire and entering the building firefighters discovered the body of a man, believed to be aged in his 20s, and called police.
A police spokeswoman said the victim was a soldier and the Ministry of Defence was liaising with the family.
Andy Fearn, from Essex County Fire and Rescue Service, said: "A small fire in the kitchen had caused the house to become filled with smoke and a man died as a result of smoke inhalation.
"The man appears to have been asleep in the lounge when the fire broke out. There were no working smoke alarms in the house.
"A smoke alarm is the single most important piece of equipment in any home, they give vital early warning at the first sign of fire giving everyone inside time to get out."